Sunday, May 1, 2011

Teacher's Pet

I started this blog to share with family and friends who tell me "if you only lived in the same state, you could feed me your wonderful cooking."  Well, my concoctions just aren't all that difficult to make.  A good amount of creativity goes into dreaming them up but I like to keep things simple and leave the complicated stuff for the weekend.  Here are a few things I have taught them to make and even a photo from the other side of the country where my best friend made her first Dave Sketti!!Green smoothies and fresh juice usually start off my day.  I've even got my dad making this stuff :D  Here are two I am currently addicted to.  First up is a banana protein smoothie.  Large handful of spinach, 1 broken up banana, couple dashes cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice,  a touch of vanilla, a squirt of agave or honey, a couple heaping spoons of hemp protein powder (you can leave this out or use a different protein), almond milk.  Put everthing in the blender except the milk, then add just enough milk to get it to mix.  Run blender until it is very smooth, then slowly add in the remaining milk until you reach your desired consistancy/thickness).  This makes for a much less chunky smoothie.  If you add all the liquid at the beginning it just doesn't blend as well.
Beet was a 4 letter word to my husband until I juiced up this beet, pineapple, lemon, apple favorite of mine and plunked down in front of a movie rental with him.  Throughout the movie he was stealing gulps from my tall glass of iced crimson drink.  It wasn't until the next day when I was telling my friend about how I had converted him that he said "What??  That wasn't berry juice??"  1 peeled beet with or without greens, 1 slice pineapple (you can leave core but I cut off the outside), 1 peeled lemon, 1 apple.  Put through your juicer and serve over ice.
Raw almond butter is a huge part of my diet.  I use it in smoothies, wraps, dips, and anything else I can dream up.  My dad called me the other day and I could hear him smiling as he told me he was enjoying an almond butter and honey sandwich.  Atta boy!  I absolutely love when I can tell someone is elated by their food being so delicious AND good for them.  That's what I'm all about.  Health food is not yucky, if it is, you are doing it wrong!  Haha.  Here is a pic of one of my favorite snacks.  A sliced up apple and some almond butter.  Also fabulous on celery and carrots.
And the feature of the day.......Dave Sketti!  Here is a pic of it all assembled, followed by a pic from teacher's pet after success on her first try!  That's why I named it after her :D  To make this fabulous dish you only need 3 ingredients.  1 spaghetti squash, these usually have directions right on them.  Simply cut in half, scoop out seeds (like a pumkin), place cut side down on a microwave safe plate, pour 1/4C water onto plate, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 12 minutes (give or take a few minutes).  You know its done if it gives when you push on it.  Let it cool, then simply run a fork across the inside to free the "noodles".  Toss with pesto and halved grape tomatoes.  This would also be fantastic with pine nuts sprinkled on top but in keeping with our easy and inexpensive theme, they are not part of the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment